Arkansas State University - Newport

Search form

Flag, Silhouette of Soldiers saluting, and the 5 branches of military seals
Veterans Services

ASU-Newport takes great pride in supporting our troops, and we are extremely proud to have members of the Guard, Reserve, active duty, and retired military as students and staff on all of our campus locations. 

Ways to Apply for Benefits

Online: Applications for Veterans benefits may be completed online through the Department of Veterans Affairs website at

In-Person: In the Veterans Certifying Officials office, located in the Student Affairs office on the ASU-Newport Jonesboro Campus (5504 Krueger Drive Jonesboro, AR 72401: Building A).

Phone: For automated telephone certification, call 1-877-823-2378. To change your address only, call 1-877-838-2778. 

Applicants under Chapter 30

  1. Eligibility:  At least two (2) years active duty, three (3) years active duty OR two (2) years active duty plus four (4) years Reserves.
  2. New applicants complete VA form 22-1990 (an application) at .
  3. Transfer students or those changing majors must complete VA form 22-1995. 

Applicants under Chapter 33 (Post 9/11)

1.  Eligibility:  Services persons who served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days after 9/10/01.

2.  New applicants need to complete VA form 22-1990 application at

3.  Transfer students or students changing majors need to complete VA form 22-1995.

Applicants under Chapter 1606/1607 (Reserves)

  1. New applicants complete VA form 22-1990 (an application) at
  2. Transfer students or those changing majors must complete VA form 22-1995. 
  3. Eligibility:  For Chapter 1606:  Completion of initial active duty training.  Must be active reservist with 6-year obligation.  For Chapter 1607:  90 days or more active duty support of contingency operation or full-time National Guard duty responding to national emergency. 
  4. National Guard and Reservists are eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance (other than the GI Bill).  Federal Tuition Assistance is administered by the Department of Defense.  Students can contact their unit Administrator or the Education Office at Camp Robinson (Ft. Roots) in North Little Rock. 

Applicants under Chapter 35 (Dependents)

  1. New applicants complete VA form 22-5490 at
  2. Transfer students or those changing majors must complete VA form 22-5495. 
  3. Eligibility:   Veteran’s death or permanent and total disability as a result of a service-related injury, as determined by the VA.

All applicants for GI-Bill benefits need to submit their Certificate of Eligibility to the VA Certifying Official’s office.  This is a letter from VA that states your percentage of benefits and/or how many months and days you are eligible for the benefits. You can access this form at and logging in with your ASU-Newport student account.  All Veteran and Dependent/Spouse students will receive a letter like this.

The Fry Scholarship is now available to surviving spouses of a service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Inquire with the VA Certifying Official.

Address questions to Dr. Allen Mooneyhan, Interim Veteran Certifying Official, at (870) 512-7864 or e-mail .

Additional Resources

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Additional information regarding educational assistance can be found on the VA website.
Visit the GI Bill page of the VA website 

Military OneSource
More information on federal tuition assistance can be found on the Military OneSource website.
View their guide on the Military Tuition Assistance Program  

National Council for Aging Care
Information regarding veteran benefit options can be found on the National Council for Aging Care website.
View their complete guide on Military Veteran Benefits

Learn How to Become
Information regarding how to help veterans, service members, and family members pay for college.
View more information about their resources

Find Resources 
Information on accessing resources for veterans at 

View more information about their resources

For more information about the ASUN's response to the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership: Compliance Information, click here. 


For more information, contact Dr. Allen Mooneyhan, Interim Veteran Certifying Official, at (870) 512-7864 or email