Arkansas State University - Newport

Search form

Veterans Services


ASU-Newport takes great pride in supporting our troops, and we are extremely proud to have members of the Guard, Reserve, active duty, and retired military as students and staff on all of our campus locations. 

How to Apply for VA Benefits
  • Complete an admission application for Admissions to ASU-Newport. Click here to access the degree-seeking admission application. 
  • Complete an application for VA benefits, click here.
  • VA will determine the benefits for which a student qualifies and will send a Certificate of Eligibility(COE) to the student. (NOTE: Email the COE to the ASUN School Certifying Official ( ) BEFORE registering for courses.  
  • Register for courses for the specific semester for which you want to use the benefits.
  • AFTER a student has registered for courses, complete the ASU-Newport VA Enrollment Certification Request Form. Click here to access the ASUN VA Enrollment Certification Form. (NOTE: If you do this before you register it will be rejected because the purpose of this form is to provide the information needed to certify/document what you are registered for).
  • Once the ASUN School Certifying Officer receives the completed ASUN Enrollment Certification Request form, he/she will certify your enrollment with the VA.
  • VA will work directly with the student to provide the benefits they approve.
Ways to Apply for Benefits

Online: Applications for Veterans benefits may be completed online through the Department of Veterans Affairs website at

In-Person: In the Veterans Certifying Officials office, located in the Student Affairs office on the ASU-Newport Jonesboro Campus (5504 Krueger Drive Jonesboro, AR 72401: Building A).

Phone: For automated telephone certification, call 1-877-823-2378. To change your address only, call 1-877-838-2778. 

Applicants under Chapter 30
  1. Eligibility:  At least two (2) years active duty, three (3) years active duty OR two (2) years active duty plus four (4) years Reserves.
  2. New applicants complete VA form 22-1990 (an application) at .
  3. Transfer students or those changing majors must complete VA form 22-1995. 
Applicants under Chapter 33 (Post 9/11)

1.  Eligibility:  Services persons who served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days after 9/10/01.

2.  New applicants need to complete VA form 22-1990 application at

3.  Transfer students or students changing majors need to complete VA form 22-1995.

Applicants under Chapter 1606/1607 (Reserves)
  1. New applicants complete VA form 22-1990 (an application) at
  2. Transfer students or those changing majors must complete VA form 22-1995. 
  3. Eligibility:  For Chapter 1606:  Completion of initial active duty training.  Must be an active reservist with a 6-year obligation.  For Chapter 1607:  90 days or more active-duty support of contingency operation or full-time National Guard duty responding to a national emergency. 
  4. National Guard and Reservists are eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance (other than the GI Bill).  Federal Tuition Assistance is administered by the Department of Defense.  Students can contact their unit Administrator or the Education Office at Camp Robinson (Ft. Roots) in North Little Rock. 
Applicants under Chapter 35 (Dependents)
  1. New applicants complete VA form 22-5490 at
  2. Transfer students or those changing majors must complete VA form 22-5495. 
  3. Eligibility:   Veteran’s death or permanent and total disability as a result of a service-related injury, as determined by the VA.
Additional Resources

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Additional information regarding educational assistance can be found on the VA website.
Visit the GI Bill page of the VA website 

Military OneSource
More information on federal tuition assistance can be found on the Military OneSource website.
View their guide on the Military Tuition Assistance Program  

National Council for Aging Care
Information regarding veteran benefit options can be found on the National Council for Aging Care website.
View their complete guide on Military Veteran Benefits

Find Resources 
Information on accessing resources for veterans at 

View more information about their resources

For more information about the ASUN's response to the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership: Compliance Information, click here. 

Additional Information

All applicants for GI-Bill benefits need to submit their Certificate of Eligibility to the VA Certifying Official’s office.  This is a letter from VA that states your percentage of benefits and/or how many months and days you are eligible for the benefits. You can access this form at All Veteran and Dependent/Spouse students will receive a letter like this.

The Fry Scholarship is now available to surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Inquire with the VA Certifying Official.

Address questions to Dr. Allen Mooneyhan, Interim Veteran Certifying Official, at (870) 512-7864 or e-mail .

Applying for TA Benefits

ASUN follows the guidance as according to the School Certifying Officer Training. Below is an excerpt from the online training. For additional information, click here

U.S. schools  

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DoD) program. VA does not administer TA. TA rules vary by branch of service and can even vary between components within the branches depending on whether the Service member is Active duty, Reserve, or National Guard. 

If a student receives education benefits from VA and receives TA benefits from the military, duplication of benefits may be an issue. The issue might involve VA regulations, DoD regulations, military branch-specific regulations or all three since VA, DoD, and the military branches all have regulations about receiving VA benefits and TA at the same time. Potential duplication issues are outlined below. 

DoD has established a policy that Federal Tuition Assistance will not be authorized for classes for which a member is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve program (chapter 1606 of title 10, United States Code), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (chapter 1607 of title 10, United States Code), or any other GI Bill® program other than the Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty program (chapter 30 of title 38, United States Code) or the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program (chapter 33 of title 38, United States Code).

To apply for Tuition Assistance, contact the ASU-Newport Financial Aid Office at  .


Accreditation Information

For more information about ASUN's accreditation affiliations, click here

Transfer Credit Evaluation Process

Please have your official military transcripts (JST, CCAF) sent to the ASUN Office of Admissions, as the VA requires all military and veteran students have an official military transcript on file with the university.  ASUN provides veteran and military students the option of having their military transcripts reviewed for academic credit and/or course waiver. Veteran and military students follow the ASUN Transfer Credit Evaluation process. 

The ASUN Transfer Credit policy is designed to reflect the academic content obtained through post-secondary and/or military instruction, including, but not limited to, basic training, noncommissioned and staff noncommissioned officers courses, leadership training classes, international deployments, military language institutes, and the military equal opportunity programs (EOP). Core academic credits are awarded based upon the American Council on Education recommendations, while other elective credits are awarded based upon military training. Some points to consider: 

  • Applicability of transfer credit to graduation requirements will vary depending on academic progress.
  • Most credits are general elective credits, which reduce the amount of credits needed to graduate but are not direct equivalents of courses offered.

For more information about transferring to ASUN, click here

Return of Unearned Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded under the assumption that you will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded.

If you withdraw or are dismissed, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. ASUN will return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent point of the period for which the funds were provided, with unearned funds returned based upon your last date of attendance (LDA). NOTE: This process follows ASUN's Return to Title IV policy as listed in ASUN's Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. Click here to view the SAP Policy. 

If you stop attending due to a military service obligation and notify the University of that obligation, ASUN will work with you to possibly identify solutions that will not result in an outstanding balance for the returned portion.