Student Government Association
What is the mission of SGA?
The Student Government Association (SGA) of ASUN is dedicated to the service and betterment of the college and its surrounding communities by fostering and exhibiting university spirit, respect, and responsibility. SGA makes a commitment to encourage the student body to get involved in worthy projects, and to serve the general welfare of the institution.
Why should I participate in SGA?
SGA helps build leadership skills, develop friendships and networks, and it looks great on a resume or a transfer application.
How do I join SGA?
Every ASUN student is automatically a member of the Student Government Association. This organization is designed to give the students a voice on campus. It is important that students understand the impact their participation has in fulfilling the SGA mission. SGA is also responsible for coordinating on-campus student events that students want. For students interested in taking an active part, contact any of the SGA officers or simply attend a meeting.
What are the objectives of SGA?
- To provide opportunities for student leadership activities and leadership training.
- To provide opportunities for meaningful, responsible student participation, input, and feedback on campus issues and to promote understanding between students, faculty, and administration.
- To provide opportunities for student participation in university and community service.
- To provide planning and execution of university sponsored student activities.
What type of events does SGA sponsor?
SGA sponsors and plans several types of events including: socials, athletics, fundraising, community service, student activities, and cultural awareness events.
What is the PEM Club?
The PEM Club is a campus organization made up of students who are Physical Education majors or those who are considering becoming Physical Education majors. The focus of this club is on providing opportunities for student to be involved in activities related to physical education and health including several state and national organizations.
What is the purpose of the PEM Club?
- To awaken an interest in Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance.
- To advance the standards of the profession.
- To achieve greater social and professional cooperation among faculty, alumni and students.
- To provide opportunities for participation in a professional organization.
Who is eligible to join?
Membership is open to all students of ASUN who are current or prospective physical education majors or elementary education majors considering a certification in physical education.
How often does the PEM Club meet?
Meetings will be held on a specific day (to be decided by the members) each month during the fall and spring semesters.
Who do I contact for more information?
If you are interested or considering Physical Education as a major field of study, contact Dr. Allen Mooneyhan.
In consistence with other programs and activities on the ASUN campus, we offer an intramural sports program. The Intramural program provides students with an opportunity for recreation and friendly competition. During the fall semesters, ASUN offers both volleyball and ping pong as intramural sports options. During the spring semesters, students can choose from basketball, softball, and ping pong.
Phi Theta Kappa
What is PTK?
Phi Theta Kappa is an exclusive international academic honor society of two-year colleges. To become a member of Phi Theta Kappa is not only an honor but an opportunity to grow scholastically, develop leadership qualities and make a difference through service both in and out of your community. For more information please refer to the Phi Theta Kappa website →.
What is the ASUN PTK mission?
The mission of ASUS chapter, Beta Nu Gamma, of Phi Theta Kappa is to recognize and encourage the academic achievement of two-year college students and to provide opportunities for individual growth and development through participation in honors, leadership, service and fellowship programming.
What are the eligibility requirements for PTK?
- Be enrolled in an accredited institution offering an associate degree program
- Complete a minimum of 12 hours of coursework leading to an associate degree
- Have a 3.5 grade point average
- Enjoy full rights of citizenship
What are the benefits of joining PTK?
- PTK offers $36 million in scholarships every year to its members
- Your achievements are published in the National Dean’s List
- Makes you stand out from other applicants (applying for jobs, etc.)
- You will be able to develop important leadership skills while participating in PTK’s community work
Minority Support Group
The Minority Support group was established in an effort to better serve the ASUN minority students’ needs. This organization meets twice a month and discusses the topics most applicable to this population of students. This organization also strives to provide support to minority students which will ultimately make their transition into the ASUN campus environment an easy and convenient one.
What are the Goals of the Minority Support Group?
- To aid minority students in succeeding both academically and socially on-campus
- Help create positive self-esteem by working with peers
- Develop and increase work ethics