Frequently Asked Questions

How long does your course last?

We begin a new class every third Monday and each class is 4 weeks long. We typically do not work on Saturdays and Sundays.

Where will I take the CDL test?

The CDL test has two parts. The first part is the written exam and you will take it during the first week of class at the State of Arkansas testing center located next to our campus. The second part is the skills / driving part and you will take that at the end of the course using our trucks.

What are the hours / days of training?

Our normal schedule is Monday through Friday each week. Training hours vary from day to day, but you should be prepared to be in class from 6 am to 5 pm each day. You may do some driving at night as well.

When does the next class start?

We begin a new class every third Monday and the class lasts for 4 weeks. Call for our next scheduled start date.

Is there transportation available to and from school?

There is NOT a shuttle between off-campus housing and the school. Students without their own transportation are responsible for carpooling with other students.

Is there an age minimum for your program?

The minimum age for enrolling in the course is 18 years old. To be able to drive a commercial vehicle across state lines you must be 21 years old. There is no upper age limit for obtaining a CDL.

What type of equipment do you use for training?

Our fleet of tractors and trailers is made up of primarily Freightliner conventional tractors with 48′ & 53′ vans and flatbed trailers.

What is the schedule of events for the four weeks?

You will experience a mix of classroom lessons, skills training, and over-the-road training.

How much behind-the-wheel time will I get?

On average, our students spend approximately 55 hours total behind-the-wheel time during their training.

Is housing available and how much does it cost?

Housing is made available to our students by a private, third-party off-campus provider in Newport. The cost of housing is $400 total plus a refundable $10 key deposit.

Is financial aid available for this course?

Yes. We have several options for helping you pay for your training. In some cases, we can even help pay for transportation to and from school, child care, and other related expenses.

How much does the course cost?

You can find this information on our Tuition and Fees page.

Do you offer job placement?

The job market for professional drivers continues to be very good. We have relationships with several major motor carriers that will be very interested in interviewing you for a driving job.

Are there any trucking companies that will pay for my training?

Yes! We can send you (by email or US Mail) a list of our industry partners that might be willing to help you pay for training.

Am I guaranteed to get my CDL if I come to your school?

Our track record of training entry-level drivers is very good, but each student must be able to successfully pass the State of Arkansas CDL required tests in order to obtain his / her CDL.

Do I get college credit for taking this course?

Yes. Students that successfully complete the driver training course at ASU-Newport will earn seven (7 semester credit hours. These credit hours can be used toward the pursuit of a higher degree.

Is there a background check for this course? What if I have a criminal background?

This is a difficult question to answer because every situation is different. The easiest answer is that your background probably won’t keep you from getting a CDL, but it might keep you from getting a job with some trucking companies.

How much do the drug screen and physical cost?

You will have a DOT drug test on the first day of class and a DOT physical on the second day of class. The drug screen costs $40 and the physical is $50. You will need cash to pay for both.

What admissions standards / qualifications are there?

You must be at least 18 years old. You must have a valid driver’s license. You must be able to pass a DOT drug screen. You must be able to pass a DOT physical. You must be able to read and write English.

What do I need to do to enroll in the course?

Enrolling is easy! Simply call our toll-free number (1-800-470-5440) and let us know that you’re planning to start training with our next class. We’ll ask you a few questions and give you some basic information about getting started. On the first day of class we will help you fill out a few documents and you’ll be ready to start training.

What documents will I need to bring with me to class?

There are a few documents that are critical for you to bring.

  1. Current driver’s license.
  2. Social Security Card
  3. An ORIGINAL Birth Certificate with a raised seal. (not a hospital copy or a photo copy)
  4. A resident alien card (if applicable).