Federal Pell Grant

What is a Federal Pell Grant?

A Federal Pell Grant is awarded to help Undergraduate students pay for their education after high school. For the Federal Pell Grant Program, an undergraduate is one who has not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. These Grants provide a “foundation” of financial aid for many students to which aid from other federal sources may be added. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid.

How much can I receive from a Federal Pell Grant?

The maximum award will be $5,350 per academic year. The amount awarded will depend not only on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), but on the cost of education, enrollment status, and whether or not attendance is for a full academic year or less.

Can I receive a Federal Pell Grant if I am enrolled less than half time?

Yes, if you are otherwise eligible. You will not receive as much as if you were full time, but your school must disburse your Pell Grant funds in accordance with your enrollment status and cannot refuse to award you simply because you are enrolled less than half time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

What is a FSEOG?

This is a grant intended to supplement other aid received. These grants are federally funded with each school receiving a fixed amount each year. Therefore, funds are awarded to a limited number of undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. A FSEOG does not have to be repaid.

How much can I get from a FSEOG?

FSEOG grants at Arkansas State University – Newport may range from $100 to $500 per academic year depending on the availability of funds.

From the State

The state of Arkansas provides several grants and scholarships. State financial aid includes the GO Opportunities Grant, Governor’s Scholarship, Arkansas Academic Challenge, Military Dependant’s Scholarship and Law Officers Dependant’s Scholarship. For more information, contact the Arkansas Department of Higher Education → at 800.547.8839.

How to Apply

To apply for federal aid students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at the FAFSA website →. Electronic versions of the FAFSA make applying for financial aid faster and easier. Some state student aid programs require students to complete the FAFSA as well as the state application.

If you have any questions, or require additional information on student financial assistance, you may contact your high school guidance counselor, the financial aid officer at the post secondary institution you plan to attend, or the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

800.4.FED.AID (toll-free).